Sunday 20 October 2013

Avatars: our virtual selves

This is my first encounter with Avatars, and I must confess I find it a highly interesting tool to apply in teaching. Not only is it appealing in itself, but it also entails a process of creation: when one is involved in making up one's Avatar our mind undergoes a complex process of reflection, I believe, about what and how much of who we think we are we need or want our Avatar to reflect. 
Apart from the creative aspect, the use of an Avatar can also provide a useful opportunity for those shy students who tend not to participate in class to voice their feelings and ideas, so that, if their class participation is hindered by their shyness, participation can be done through their Avatar in the virtual world. In this particular case, I am referring to talking Avatars, such as Voki. 

What other advantages to the use of Avatars can we find? Opinions welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Agostina,
    I haven't thought about the fact that avatars can give our shy students a voice, I think it's a very important thing given that all our students have something to say...
    Unfortunately, I can't see you avatar... Is it working properly?

    See you!

    ReplyDelete